April 19, 2014

Can I paint a old Drexel bedroom set?





anesthesia


I just purchased a head/foot board and matching dresser at a consignment shop and I want to paint it to match my bedroom. The paint is wearing off but it's still in pretty good condition. Does anyone know if the company's furniture is worth preserving?


Answer
I "LOVE" consignment shops, yard sales, Goodwill, etc. For years and years (when the kids where young, especially) this was all I could afford. I painted everything. It was worth it to me. I would inspect the piece, determine what repairs it needed, nail, screw, etc. and then paint. In your case since the furniture paint is wearing off visit your local paint store for options. Last time I was at the hardware store to pick up paint samples (2 weeks ago) I saw several different kinds of paint strippers if you want to go that route. The cost of doing the work yourself is much much less then having someone do it for you and you can change your mind as you change you decor. My daughter would change her mind on what her favorite color was every year, so out would come the paint.

As to the value of the pieces you bought, whether it is better to keep them as they are or to refinish them? It depends on when they where made and in what style. Get them valued by an antiques dealer. But for your information the Drexel company was founded in 1903 so the piece is Twentieth Century most likely. Some better made furniture that is pre-1960 are beginning to develop value. Check into this before you do something that can't be reversed.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Archives

BlogRoll

My Zimbio
Top Stories Add to Technorati Favorites Performance Art Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Listed in LS Blogs the Blog Directory and Blog Search Engine Top Blogs Blog Directory Interior Design Blog Directory Meilleur du Web : Annuaire des meilleurs sites Web.

Marketiva Forex Trading

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved | Ryanita Queen Bedroom Set Quide | Original Wordpress theme by Brian Gardner | Camera Guide by Ryanita