December 20, 2013

How to do an all-white bedroom?


queen bedroom furniture with storage
 on Kira - Queen Storage Rails | B473-98 | Bed Frames | Furniture World ...
queen bedroom furniture with storage image




smile :~)


I want to redo my room to make it more mature and soothing, so naturally I want to make it all-white, because white is just clean. Currently, it is painted like 4 different colors and it is just too distracting for me. I just need some advice on how to actually successfully carry out an all-white room, because I want it to look good.

I currently have some disgusting mauve carpet that I want to redo with the laminate wood pergo stuff, so suggestions on the shade would be appreciated.

My current furniture (which I'm NOT changing) is this light colored wood that is kind of girly and swirly- think carved-in bows, scalloped edges, etc. So any suggestions should be made with that taken into account.

I also have these storage containers, which I got when I had this 'wonderful' idea to make my room modern and filled with every color, and they are these black plastic cube things, like 1.5 cubic feet each, and each cube holds a drawer, of which I chose either a solid, bright color or white with giant solid color polka dots. I'm debating whether to get rid of them, keep them in their place, put them in the closet so I can still use them, or to swap them out for these other white plastic storage containers (also kind of ugly), so suggestions for cheap ways to solve that storage issue (by cheap I mean under $50)

I also have this table lamp that is pretty small and has all these hanging shiny, mirror disks, should I keep that?

I would have proffered to do a more modern bedroom, but my furniture is just too old-fashioned to go totally modern, so keep that in mind.

For the walls, I really want to add in an exposed brick wall (I know how to DIY it) and it would be white brick. Also, I like the idea of adding in panels (I also know how to DIY those), but I don't think they go together. Also, in terms of my color choices, should I be doing warm-toned whites or cool-toned whites? And since the modern vibe is not a possibility should I be trying to go with an elegant, rich sort of feel with paneled walls or more of a not-quite-shabby chic style with an exposed brick wall and lace and vintagey?
As a side note I am a girl, so keep any suggestions feminine. Also, I am in high school, so I want my room to be fairly mature, and something I could live with into my adult life when I come back to visit.



Answer
I think the exposed brick, shabby-chic vibe would work best for you for now, and after you finish High School. Does you bed have a headboard? Think about removing it and DIY make one that hangs on the wall. Think white fabric that is thick, and lush and will add dimension with texture. How about faux fur even!!! A white chenille bedspread would work well for headboard material if you can find one at a thrift store. You would only need a double whether you have a single bed, double, or queen...

Storage wise introducing black is not a problem. You could put the containers in a closet. Think about painting your dresser and nightstand white also. A lamp with mirrors is ok as long as the base is either white or clear. If not, think of spray painting it silver to go with the mirrors!! Speaking of mirrors....

Have you thought about doing your closet or bedroom door in mirrors? I'm not talking about a long one-piece mirror. I'm talking about all sizes, framed or unframed that you could stack together and make a piece of functional art by arranging them collectively on your door. Function & funky. You could also dress up your dresser and nightstand by changing out the drawer pulls, or camouflaging them by making or buying tassels. This would be an unexpected, very chic idea.

Under the bed storage is also a great idea, especially for seasonal clothes, shoes and purses.

Ever thought about using empty picture frames, minus even the glass for a jewelry keeper? By buying teacup hooks you can screw them into the frame so that they hang down, and place necklaces, hair accessories, bracelets, etc. on the hooks and hang the picture frame on the wall. You can also purchase (or even get free) from your local hardware store, some metal screening material that you can staple to the back of the frame and use for a pierced earring keeper. By arranging these frames on your wall, you've recycled, re-purposed and redesigned a functional piece of art. Why stop there? Why not purchase Command strip hooks (they don't mark up the walls) and incorporate them so that you can hang some of your most unusual or favorite purses. Because you will be constantly changing out your accessories and purses, it will be ever-changing so you won't get bored with it.

If you are going white and bright, keep your floors light. I'd use a white paint that has primer in it. Depending on the colors you are covering, it should look the same when you are finished. People use primer on painted walls first, usually to cover the color underneath so that the new paint is truer and looks the same no matter what colors were on each wall. Most paints today have the primer in it eliminating that step.

Good luck and happy decorating!

How to decorate a bedroom around a captain's bed?




Lepke


We recently moved to a new house and I would like to finally decorate the bedroom. It's nice and spacious and the only furniture that we currently have in it is a queen captain's bed that my husband built. It's nice enough (ok, I am not crazy about it but my husband put a lot of sweat and tears into that bed, so it's not going anywhere soon), and the wood is a gorgeous natural cherry. My decorating problem is that it's so BOXY (both the bed and the shelves in the headboard) - I don't know what to do with it. Any ideas for how to decorate the bedroom?


Answer
What about using a dust ruffle to minimize the boxiness of the platform that holds the drawers? You'd still be able to get into them easily, because you could just lift the ruffle.

And the head and footboard are good storage, too - you could put a couple of books in one nook, a candle garden in another (you wouldn't light those, of course, but if you get scented ones, the scent will be released into the room very slowly even if not lit) - little stuff, you know, but not too much - keep if from getting jam-packed with stuff so it doesn;t look cluttered.

And I've seen people get some more decorative shoeboxes and stack them sort of caddywhompus (not exactly straight) in the footboard cubbies - then their shoes are ready to go, but it still looks really nice.

The trick is going to be using some fabrics and accessories to soften the boxy shape of the bed - nice drapes, valances and shades on your windows and perhaps a rug underneath will also help. Using round shapes in your accessories will also help, so for example, changing your lampshades if you use bedstand lamps for ones with a round shape is a good idea. Placing a few pillar candles around the room in little groups, a round clock on a wall that is seen as you come in, these are little things you wouldn't think help, but they do, because they give your eye something other than the straight lines of the bed to focus on.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Archives

BlogRoll

My Zimbio
Top Stories Add to Technorati Favorites Performance Art Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Listed in LS Blogs the Blog Directory and Blog Search Engine Top Blogs Blog Directory Interior Design Blog Directory Meilleur du Web : Annuaire des meilleurs sites Web.

Marketiva Forex Trading

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved | Ryanita Queen Bedroom Set Quide | Original Wordpress theme by Brian Gardner | Camera Guide by Ryanita